So I have a confession to make…
I totally and accidentally overbought at the grocery store today.
I headed to Trader Joes and Whole Foods all bright eyed and bushy tailed, on a mission to buy enough fresh produce to feed a small army. This is all fun and good, until I conveniently failed to incorporate the fact that I will be traveling with work for two days this week…
I hate wasting produce, so I’ll take this as incentive to cook a few extra meals at home this weekend.
On the note of anti-wastefulness- I finally purchased reusable grocery bags today! The number of paper TJ’s/Whole Foods bags sitting in my pantry is kind of absurd… And after reading Alexis at Hummusapien’s most recent post on simple ways to live green, I was inspired to make a change!
Saving the environment and saving space in the pantry, one grocery bag at a time. 😉
But anyways – the fun stuff! I wanted to share with you guys all of my foodie purchases, and include a price breakdown for each item. I feel like this could be helpful to visualize how much individual things cost when planning your own grocery trips.
My grocery shopping usually ranges between $40-$75, depending on the day/sales/how much restocking I have to do. This grocery haul was slightly on the higher end, coming in at a grand total of $60.04.
- 2 reusable bags – $0.99 each
- Organic arugula – $2.49
- Organic kale – $2.29
- Eggs – $2.99
- 2 avocados – $2.78 ($1.39 each)
- Baby bell peppers – $2.49
- Portobello mushroom caps – $2.49
- Red bell pepper – $0.99
- Mini heirloom tomatoes – $3.49
- Red onion -$0.99
- Organic tempeh – $3.98 (Just realizing she accidentally charged me for two… Not cool!)
- Bananas – $1.14 ($0.19 each)
- Fuji apples – $1.58 ($0.79 each)
- Sweet potatoes – $0.98 ($0.49 each)
- The best coffee on the planet – $7.49
- Total – $38.39
Side note – I am using the coffee to make my own cold brew! I finally purchased a toddy on Amazon, and currently have a vat of joe brewing away on my counter. To say I’m excited would be an understatement. 🙂
- Reusable bag – $0.99
- Coconut chips – $4.99 (impulse buy… toasted coconut chips with a little coconut sugar and sea salt sounded too good to pass up!)
- Fresh figs – $3.11
- Organic local cucumber – $0.51 (on sale)
- Organic local zucchini – $0.56 (on sale)
- Purely Elizabeth Hemp & Greens veggie burgers – $3.99
- Cauliflower – $1.50 (on sale)
- Blackberries – $2.50
- “Fancy” okra – $2.79 (that was literally the name on the receipt)
- Total – $21.65
And there you have it!
What kind of produce have you been loving lately? Do you ever get over-excited and over-buy on produce?