Once you try avocado toast, your life will never be the same.
Seriously. Its been pretty hyped up lately, and with good reason. It’s the perfect combination of textures, flavors, and macro nutrients to make you jump for joy. You get carbs from the warm toasted bread, healthy fats from the cool, creamy avocado, and protein from the yolky egg. Plus it’s insanely delicious.
What else could you possibly ask for?
Pair it with fresh fruit or a smoothie for breakfast. Add some spinach, tomato, and another slice of bread and call it lunch. Enjoy it on its own as a satisfying snack.
It’s basically your favorite pair of jeans of the foodie world. You know what I’m talking about. The ones you wear and wear and wear with different shirts/shoes that fit perfectly and make your booty look fab? Yep. That’s avo toast.
Egg & Avocado Toast
- 1 slice of bread, toasted (I use/recommend sprouted Ezekiel bread)
- 1/4 of a ripe avocado
- 1 egg
- Coconut oil or cooking spray
- Sea salt
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Toast bread until it reaches desired brownness.
- While toasting, heat a pan on the stovetop on medium heat. Add oil or spray with cooking spray; whichever you prefer to cook your egg in.
- Once the pan is hot crack the egg into the pan. Once it starts to set, flip the egg onto its other side and let it cook for a minute or two. Flip one final time and then turn off the stove. The goal is for the yolk to remain runny, so don’t over cook it! (PSA: Don’t forget about your toast while you’re cooking the egg! I’ve accidentally burnt toast on numerous occasions because I didn’t check on it)
- Once toast has toasted, put it on a plate and smash 1/4 of an avocado on top using a fork.
- Add the egg on top of the avocado toast. Sprinkle with sea salt and red pepper flakes for a kick.