Apples & cinnamon go together like peanut butter & jelly.
It’s one of those classic flavor combinations that will never get old.
I didn’t start incorporating this combo into my morning oatmeal routine until recently, and it was love at first bite! Warm cinnamonny apples + gooey oats = a cozy bowl of breakfast goodness.
Needless to say, apple cinnamon oats have become a staple in my breakfast routine – especially when cooked on the stovetop.
I was a microwave-oat girl for so long, but I think I’ve been converted (s/o Dani & Nancy!). Cooking oats on the stove takes much longer, but always tastes 10 times better… Which is totally worth it if you have the time.
I’ve been making stovetop oats at night during the week to reheat in the morning, and it has been working out quite nicely. This week, however, I wanted to try making a bigger batch at once to eat throughout the week, eliminating that cook-time from my daily routine.
On Sunday, I whipped up a batch with 4 servings to enjoy all week long with no hassle. I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for a while, so I figured this was the perfect opportunity to do it.
This is truly a great option for those who are wanting to eat a healthy breakfast, but don’t feel like they have the time to cook in the morning. Make a batch, portion into tupperware, and have breakfast ready to reheat and go.
These oats pair perfectly with a number of toppings, including peanut butter, almond butter, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, hemp hearts and granola – so mix and match until you find your favorite.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!
Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats (with egg whites)
- 1 cup of steel cut oats
- 3 small gala apples (or 1.5-2 normal sized ones)
- 3 cups of liquid (unsweetened cashew or unsweetened vanilla almond milk suggested)
- 4 teaspoons of chia seeds
- 3/4 cup of egg whites or 4 eggs with yolks removed (added for extra lean protein – but feel free to omit!)
- Vanilla extract
- Stevia drops to taste (2 tablespoons of maple syrup, honey, or agave would be great options, as well)
- A dash of sea salt
- Coconut oil cooking spray or coconut oil
- Wash and chop up the apples. Add them to a pan with coconut oil or cooking spray on medium heat. Sprinkle with cinnamon and stir as they cook. Cook until slightly soft and fragrant.
- While apples are heating, bring 3 cups of liquid to a boil in a medium pot.
- Once the liquid comes to a boil, reduce to low heat. Add in the oats, chia seeds, and apples. Stir together then add more cinnamon, a splash of vanilla extract, a dash of sea salt, and stevia drops (or your sweetener of choice).
- Let the oats cook, stirring periodically, for about 5-7 minutes, adding more liquid if need be.
- Once the oats have cooked, pour in 3/4 of a cup of egg whites, stirring vigorously to combine. Continue cooking for another minute or so. (Skip this step if not adding egg whites)
- Turn off the stove, and let the oats cool for a few minutes.
- Pour your oats into a big tupperware, or portion into 4 servings to have ready for easy access.
- Top with whatever your little heart desires! Suggested: pomegranate seeds and nut butter.
What are some of your favorite food combos?
What is your favorite oatmeal flavor?